• Welcome to Sensible Investors, if you wish to comment on any threads and join the Sensible Investors community Click here.

Trading212 ISA vs Invest

Sensible Investors

Staff member
May 31, 2022
Which do you use and which is better?

Trading212 offers 3 kinds of accounts, CFD, Invest and ISA.
The invest account is otherly known as a General Invest Account (GIA).

Both the Invest and the ISA account both have their uses, but which one do you think is better?

raph

Regular Investor
May 29, 2021
I use the ISA account and not the GIA as i have one of them with freetrade just now i am unlikely to max out my ISA each year so for me i would alway's start with that first. The reason i have a GIA is simply incase i need to withdraw funds in an hurry and rather than take them from my ISA

Reactions: Smart Finance

Smart Finance

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 23, 2021
gumroad.com
I use the ISA account and not the GIA as i have one of them with freetrade just now i am unlikely to max out my ISA each year so for me i would alway's start with that first. The reason i have a GIA is simply incase i need to withdraw funds in an hurry and rather than take them from my ISA
That's a good plan, don't want to be messing up the £20,000 allowance by depositing and withdrawing constantly. I've been lucky this year and have managed to max out my ISA. I am utilising the GIA and building positions for next tax year and moving them over to the ISA when possible. GIA accounts really do have a place in a strategy.

Reactions: raph

Daveysan

Jun 3, 2022
I have both. I had a Freetrade account at the time with a few thousand in it in select companies.
I opened a GIA with an idea to invest in the pies in certain sectors. It has been a huge learning curve and now I have the companies I has decided to stay invested in, in the GIA and started an ISA one with the new selection of companies.
The idea is that I am treating the two accounts (I know they are separate and one is an ISA) as a whole. And the companies I am invested in are my own ETF. So I am not panicking if one company is not pulling its weight because it is one investment. Sort off

Reactions: Smart Finance

Smart Finance

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 23, 2021
gumroad.com
I have both. I had a Freetrade account at the time with a few thousand in it in select companies.
I opened a GIA with an idea to invest in the pies in certain sectors. It has been a huge learning curve and now I have the companies I has decided to stay invested in, in the GIA and started an ISA one with the new selection of companies.
The idea is that I am treating the two accounts (I know they are separate and one is an ISA) as a whole. And the companies I am invested in are my own ETF. So I am not panicking if one company is not pulling its weight because it is one investment. Sort off
How are you finding having multiple accounts?
A few years ago i was trailing out both Trading212 & Freetrade and for me, personally, i found Trading212 better. The implication of the Pie feature allowed me to easily create different portfolios or as you might think of it, multiple of my own ETFs.

It made it easier to track performances, this also allowed me to fine tune for what to become my final strategy towards investing.
I do love the idea of creating my own ETF, especially using the Core & Satellite strategy.
A while ago i created a Smart Portfolio which people could follow along, that was quite fun, especially showing how fast £5 per week could build up.

Daveysan

Jun 3, 2022
How are you finding having multiple accounts?
A few years ago i was trailing out both Trading212 & Freetrade and for me, personally, i found Trading212 better. The implication of the Pie feature allowed me to easily create different portfolios or as you might think of it, multiple of my own ETFs.

It made it easier to track performances, this also allowed me to fine tune for what to become my final strategy towards investing.
I do love the idea of creating my own ETF, especially using the Core & Satellite strategy.
A while ago i created a Smart Portfolio which people could follow along, that was quite fun, especially showing how fast £5 per week could build up.
Yes agree. The reason why I opened the Trading 212 accounts was initially for the PIE feature which is still important but I now look at everything as one whole, my ETF. But it does help keep an eye on sectors and stocks better. My Freetrade account is more static than my 212 accounts. I only have 5 stocks and 2 etf in this but they are larger sums of money.
212 I have smaller sums in each company but I like the fact I can add fractional amounts as I go along